September 3, 2009

Tip: Check Tags Before Washing

How many of you just separate your clothes from dark's, lights and whites and than just throw them all into the wash. If you do, than your WRONG.

Growing up my mom was always the one who washed our clothes. No she didn’t separate our closed based on the tags inside of them. She would just make a pile for the dark's and a pile for the whites/lights and throw them in and wash the clothes all on cold. Sometimes my clothes would shrink, get bleached, discolored/stained etc. I hated it. I wish my mom would have washed our clothes how the designers wanted them to be washed. I have lost a lot of great articles to my dreadful washing machine. Damn you! All in all, most of clothes used to get bleached/discolored.

Now that I am on my own, I have been washing clothes the same way my mom did. I would separate all of my clothes into two loads. That’s it. If you look on the tags of some clothes it tells you the specific requirements to take care of them properly. For example the shirt from Urban Outfitters above: Machine wash cold with like colors, only non-chlorine, bleach when needed, tumble dry low. Remove promptly, warm iron when needed. I know it sounds like a lot, but you really need to pay attention to how it has to be washed.

No comments: